MASON, OHIO - AUGUST 08: Kei Nishikori of Japan in action against Camilo Ugo Carabelli of Argentina during the Men's Singles First Round match on day two of the Cincinnati Open 2025 at Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 08, 2025 in Mason, Ohio.

Former US Open finalist Nishikori to retire at end of season

The Associated Press
23 days ago
Daniel Kopatsch / Getty Images Sport / Getty

TOKYO (AP) — Former world No. 4-ranked and 2014 U.S. Open finalist Kei Nishikori said Thursday on social media that he plans to retire at the end of this tennis season.

The 36-year-old Nishikori missed the Australian Open in January with right shoulder pain and has been affected by injuries the last several years. He also missed last year's U.S. Open.

Making his professional debut in 2007, Nishikori became the first Japanese player to advance to the final of a Grand Slam men's singles tournament at the 2014 Open in New York, which he lost in straight sets to Croatia’s Marin Cilic.

Nishikori, who won a bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics after defeating Rafael Nadal in three sets, said in early April he was “barely hanging on,” referring to his physical condition.

"Looking back on everything up to this point, I can proudly say I gave it my all,” Nishikori said on X. “ I am truly happy to have walked this path.”

___

AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis

XRedditFacebookWhatsAppEmailSMS
MORE STORIES