Report: Sepp Blatter may seek to remain as FIFA president despite resignation announcement
Sepp Blatter may have lied to us all, and could be prepared to renege on a promise. Who could have predicted this ...
The embattled Swiss administrator announced last month that he intended to resign his post as FIFA president amidst the ongoing corruption scandal that has engulfed football's governing body. However, he could now seek to remain as the most powerful man in the sport, according to a report Saturday from Swiss newspaper Schweiz am Sonntag.
Quoting an anonymous source, the report claims the 79-year-old has received support from various corners of the football world, and is now considering keeping the role that he's maintained with an iron grip since 1998.
The Guardian has more details:
The newspaper said it had information that Blatter had received messages of support from African and Asian football associations asking him to rethink his decision to step down. The source told the paper Blatter was honoured by the support and had not ruled out remaining in office. FIFA did not immediately reply to a request for comment ...
The newspaper also suggested that Blatter’s renewed interest in the job was another reason for the departure of Walter de Gregorio as FIFA's director of communications, since he had argued for a new start and advised Blatter to go. De Gregorio declined to comment.
And you thought this story was over.
HEADLINES
- Permutations in Europe: What's still at stake in final weeks of season?
- Reims end Cannes' miracle run to book Coupe de France final with PSG
- Latest transfer news and rumors: Sociedad star tapped as Salah's successor
- Ben Yedder attempts comeback in Iran after suspended prison sentence
- PSG survive scare against 2nd-tier Dunkerque to reach French Cup final