Blue Jays' Stroman says he lost in arbitration: 'It will only fuel the fire'
Marcus Stroman learned before anyone else that he lost in arbitration, and he's not thrilled about it.
The Toronto Blue Jays right-hander broke his own news Thursday by tweeting that he'd been defeated by the team in his hearing earlier this week. As a result, he'll earn $6.5 million this season, rather than the $6.9-million figure he requested.
In a since-deleted tweet, the 26-year-old seemed disappointed about the hearing, which appears to have involved some contentious moments between the two sides.
#BlueJays’ Marcus Stroman says he lost his arbitration case: pic.twitter.com/jKFygZUzhm
— Dhiren Mahiban (@dcmahiban) February 15, 2018
While the Blue Jays' preferred figure won out, Stroman emphasized that he'll use the hearing as competitive fuel on the mound. He also clarified that he holds no hard feelings toward the team over what was said in the hearing.
Just being real. Not mad at all. I’m aware of the business. Just opens your eyes going through the arbitration process. Second time going through it. Still love my team and the entire country of Canada. More upset that I had to fly to AZ and miss my Monday workout. Lol
— Marcus Stroman (@MStrooo6) February 15, 2018
The former first-round pick had the best full season of his young career last summer, posting a 3.09 ERA - fourth-lowest in the American League - while striking out 164 and throwing a pair of complete games in 201 innings pitched. He finished eighth in AL Cy Young voting and also won his first Gold Glove award.
Stroman defeated the Blue Jays in arbitration prior to last season.
HEADLINES
- Dodgers place Freeman on IL with ankle injury after shower slip
- Reds become 1st team since 1960 to lose 3 straight 1-0 games
- Damn the torpedoes: Limited data won't quell orders for new bats
- Walker twirls 6 scoreless innings as Phillies sweep Rockies
- Astros' Garcia shut down for another 4 weeks with elbow inflammation