AUSTIN, TEXAS - MARCH 08: Conor McGregor attends the "Road House" world premiere as part of the 2024 SXSW Conference and Festival at The Paramount Theatre on March 08, 2024 in Austin, Texas.

White rules out McGregor-Diaz 3 at the Sphere: 'I'm not doing that fight'

2 years ago
Astrida Valigorsky / Getty Images Entertainment / Getty

UFC CEO Dana White shut down Conor McGregor's idea of fighting Nate Diaz for a third time at UFC 306 on Sept. 14, the promotion's first event at the Sphere in Las Vegas.

"I'm looking for Mexicans at the Sphere on Mexican Independence Day," White said at the UFC 299 postfight press conference Saturday night in Miami. "Yeah, no, I'm not doing that fight."

Last week, McGregor said in an Instagram post that he wanted to fight Michael Chandler at UFC 303 on June 29 and then make a quick turnaround to complete his historic trilogy with Diaz two-and-a-half months later.

White made no comment about McGregor-Chandler on Saturday but said in February he hoped that matchup would take place in the fall.

McGregor, who last fought in July 2021, has publicly expressed frustration about the UFC not booking him a comeback bout multiple times in the last few months.

The Irishman said last week a "lack of action" by the UFC had caused "a lack of enthusiasm."

XRedditFacebookWhatsAppEmailSMS
MORE STORIES