Garry vs. Prates to headline UFC Kansas City, replacing Hill-Rountree
A welterweight bout between Ian Machado Garry and Carlos Prates will headline UFC Kansas City on April 26, CEO Dana White announced Tuesday.
Khalil Rountree and Jamahal Hill were originally slated to headline the event. The fight is still expected to take place but will be moved to a later date, according to MMA Fighting's Damon Martin.
Rountree said in a video posted to his YouTube channel Tuesday night that the UFC told him Hill had to pull out due to an injury.
Hill-Rountree was previously set to take place at UFC 303 in June 2024 until Rountree dropped out after testing positive for a banned substance.
Garry most recently lost to Shavkat Rakhmonov by unanimous decision in December - his first loss in 16 professional fights. Garry filled in for Belal Muhammad with three weeks' notice after Muhammad withdrew due to an infection.
Prates is 4-0 in the UFC with four knockouts in either the first or second rounds of all his bouts. He most recently knocked out Neil Magny in a UFC Fight Night event in November. "The Nightmare" is 21-6 overall in his MMA career with an 11-fight winning streak.
Prates was set to fight Geoff Neal at UFC 314 on April 12 before Neal withdrew due to injury.
Garry is the seventh-ranked welterweight, while Prates is ranked No. 13 in the division.
UFC Kansas City will also feature Anthony Smith in his retirement bout versus Mingyang Zhang, Abus Magomedov versus Michel Pereira, and Giga Chikadze versus David Onama, among other bouts.