Wilder-Povetkin title fight delayed after Povetkin tests positive for meldonium
Deontay Wilder's next title defense will have to wait.
The World Boxing Council has decided to postpone a May 21 heavyweight title fight between current champion Wilder and mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin after Povetkin tested positive for the banned substance meldonium, according to ESPN's Dan Rafael.
The substance was discovered in a urine test administered to Povetkin on April 27.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman addressed the situation in an official statement on Sunday.
"The World Boxing Council is diligently addressing the positive test result from the (WBC's) clean boxing program for mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin," WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said in a statement. "Keeping the priority of safety and also the principle of justice, the WBC will continue the investigation into the case. Consequently, the event scheduled for May 21 in Moscow is hereby officially postponed. The WBC will be releasing more information in the coming days regarding the final ruling on the matter."
Wilder's promoter Lou DiBella spoke to ESPN.com, decrying Povetkin for ruining the bout and costing his client an expected $4.5-million purse.
"The guy tested positive for a dangerous drug and the health and safety of Deontay was paramount, so the fight could not take place on May 21," DiBella said. "Deontay would have fought King Kong without any regard for what substance was being used, but Povetkin's use of this banned substance and the breach of the contract deprived Deontay of an opportunity to defend his title on a fair playing field. As a result, Deontay has suffered significant damages.
"He has gone through his entire training camp and expended a tremendous amount of time and money and energy. It's awful."
DiBella also denied a claim by Povetkin's promoter Andrey Ryabinsky that the fight had already been rescheduled.
Ryabinsky defended Povetkin by explaining that the boxer took meldonium in September, before the substance was banned by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.
However, Povetkin was tested three times in April and each test came back negative, which suggests that the meldonium was used after the implementation of the ban.
Wilder is 36-0 as a professional and he has successfully defended the WBC title three times since winning it from Bermane Stiverne in January 2015.
Povetkin is a former Olympic gold medalist whose record stands at 30-1, with his only loss coming against heavyweight standout Wladimir Klitschko.
The bout between Wilder and Povetkin was intended to take place at the Khodynka Ice Palace in Moscow.
HEADLINES
- Dolphins place OLBs coach Crow on leave after domestic battery arrest
- Red Sox release Buehler, promote top pitching prospect Tolle
- Parsons embraces expectations upon arrival in Green Bay
- Mariners' Robles to serve 7-game ban for throwing bat at pitcher
- Report: Devils, Luke Hughes apart on term for extension