Cowboys' Garrett: No plans to address Trump's comments with team
Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said Saturday he won't address President Donald Trump's criticism of NFL players who protest during the national anthem with his team, according to David Helman of the team's official site.
Related - Trump rips anthem protesters: 'Get that son of a b---- off the field'
In a back-and-forth with reporters, Garrett gave cautious responses, refusing to give his opinion on Trump's comments:
Q: Given Trump's comments, do you feel the need to have a conversation with your team about the anthem?
A: I don't.
Q: Why not?
A: We have an approach that we believe in, and I have no real comment beyond that.
Q: Do you expect your players to do anything, or have they had decisions about doing something regarding the anthem?
A: No.
Q: Do you not have an opinion, or do you not want to share your thoughts?
A: I just don't think it's in anyone’s best interest for me to comment on that.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in August that he doesn't want his players to protest during the anthem.
"I just feel so strongly that the act of recognizing the flag is a salute to our country and all of the people that have sacrificed so that we can have the liberties we have," Jones said.
"I feel very strongly that everyone should save that moment for the recognition of the flag in a positive way, so I like the way the Cowboys do it."
Garrett also previously called the United States' flag "sacred."
With h/t to Pro Football Talk
HEADLINES
- Campbell excited about new coordinators: Lions aren't 'starting from scratch'
- Patriots' McDaniels: 'Blessing' to take year off football
- Reds become 1st team since 1960 to lose 3 straight 1-0 games
- Bruins winless in 10 straight games after falling to Canadiens
- Giannis records historic 35-15-20 stat line in win over 76ers