Browns GM reiterates team isn't interested in trading Garrett
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Cleveland Browns general manager Andrew Berry insisted the team is not interested in trading star defensive end Myles Garrett despite his request to be dealt.
“We can’t imagine a situation where not having Myles is best for the Browns," he said Tuesday at the NFL combine.
Berry said the Browns have had “plenty of dialogue with Myles” and “understand the frustration.” Berry had previously said the team would not deal Garrett, adding he anticipated Garrett going directly from the Browns to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Garrett went public with his trade request just over three weeks ago, saying he wanted “to compete for and win a Super Bowl.” The Browns finished last in the AFC North at 3-14 this past season.
Garrett, the AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2023, was a finalist for the award again. His 14 sacks ranked second in the league, and he became the first player in NFL history to have 14 or more sacks in four consecutive seasons. He holds the franchise record with 102 1/2 sacks.
Garrett is under contract with the Browns for two more seasons under a five-year, $125 million extension he signed in 2020.
___
AP NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl
HEADLINES
- Parsons: I'll 'give it my all' for Packers after trade
- Schottenheimer takes Parsons trade in stride: 'Part of the business'
- Trade grades: Evaluating the Micah Parsons blockbuster
- Patriots' roster shuffle continues with release of Peppers
- Dolphins place OLBs coach Crow on leave after domestic battery arrest