Fofana, Mejbri targeted with racist abuse after Chelsea-Burnley game
Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana and Burnley midfielder Hannibal Mejbri were targeted with racist abuse online after the teams' 1-1 draw in the Premier League.
Both players shared images of racist messages they were sent privately over Instagram following Saturday's game at Stamford Bridge.
It came days after UEFA began an investigation into claims by Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior that he was racially abused on the field by Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni during a Champions League game in Lisbon.
Fofana, who was sent off for receiving two yellow cards against Burnley, posted screenshots of messages he had been sent and wrote on Instagram: "2026, it's still the same thing, nothing changes. These people are never punished.
"You create big campaigns against racism, but nobody actually does anything."
Mejbri wrote on his Instagram story: "It's 2026 and there are still people like that. Educate yourself and your kids, please."
Chelsea said in a statement the abuse directed at Fofana was "completely unacceptable and runs counter to the values of the game and everything we stand for as a club."
"We stand unequivocally with Wes," the statement read. "He has our full support, as do all our players who are too often forced to endure this hatred simply for doing their job.
"We will work with the relevant authorities and platforms in identifying the perpetrators and take the strongest possible action."
Burnley said in its statement there was "no place for this in our society and we condemn it unreservedly."
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer