LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - DECEMBER 16: Colby Covington of the United States looks on prior to a welterweight title fight against Leon Edwards of England during the UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington event at T-Mobile Arena on December 16, 2023 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Report: Covington informs UFC of retirement

3 hours ago
Sean M. Haffey / Getty Images Sport / Getty

Former interim welterweight champion Colby Covington has informed the UFC that he's retiring, sources told Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting.

Covington's last fight was a TKO loss to Joaquin Buckley in December 2024. His UFC career will end on a two-fight losing streak, as he was also beaten by Leon Edwards by unanimous decision in a welterweight title fight in December 2023.

His last win came against Jorge Masvidal at UFC 272 in March 2022.

Covington told MMA Junkie earlier this year that he was "bummed" about being left off the UFC Freedom 250 card, which is scheduled to take place at the White House on June 14.

The 38-year-old has recently been competing in the freestyle wrestling promotion Real American Freestyle, with his next fight scheduled for May 30 against Chris Weidman.

Covington had three attempts to become the outright UFC welterweight champion in his career but lost each time, falling to Kamaru Usman twice and Edwards once.

He'll retire with an MMA record of 17-5.

XRedditFacebookWhatsAppEmailSMS
MORE STORIES